Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Annyong haseyo?

Greetings, internet world!  Welcome to the inaugural post of this here web log, or “blog” as the cool kids say.  To be honest, I really only thought of creating this blog as a means of keeping in touch with friends and family so I don’t have to reply to copious amounts of emails from multiple people all asking the same question:  “What have you been doing?”  So, friends and family, if you want an answer to that question, this is where you need to be!      

However, while I was busy figuring out how exactly to set up a blog (forgive me, I am a lowly noob to the blogverse), I also began to see it as a medium for collecting all sorts of things that interest me.  As I am preparing to start living in South Korea, I am anticipating there being a lot of new and exciting experiences in the future. I started listing some things I would be looking forward to: new people, new job, new foods, new culture, new fashion, new environment, etc.  I have always found that when I want to be articulate, writing has always been the easiest way for me to organize my thoughts.  So not only will I use this as means of letting people know that yes, in fact, I am still living and breathing, but also as my outlet for my raves, rants, musings, observations, etc..  So, for now, here is my preliminary plan for life in South Korea: teach, eat, sleep, eat, drink, write, eat, cook, attempt to speak Korean, write, eat some more, and maybe climb some mountains…you know, to balance out the eating.

Let’s begin.  Here’s what I currently know about South Korea:
  1. kimchi is good.  If you have never eaten it, try it.  (Publix has it in the produce section)
  2. the Korean writing system, Hangul, is phonetic—language gods, kamsahamnida!
  3. There is apparently a growing awareness and popularity of Korean pop culture and entertainment sweeping East Asia and may have just now begun landing on Western shores-this is known as the Korean Wave (or Hallyu)
  4. K-Pop star, Rain, has an ongoing rivalry with Stephen Colbert.  For reference, see below:
The throwing of the gauntlet:



The showdown:



But, putting aside popstars and vanity--looking ahead, here’s the kind of things I plan on chronicling in my brand spankin' new web log: 
1. my struggle to learn the local language, preferably at least the basics before my departure.  I’ve pulled out the big guns and will be working my way through Rosetta Stone Korean Level 1, gifted to me by my parents (much gratitude and thanks).  I’ll include updates on my progress on that as well as my ongoing progress while in Korea. 
2. my ongoing gastronomy studies. I plan to eat well and eat often…well, maybe not that often… and will attempt to learn Korean cooking as well. 
3. updates from the classroom front.  I’ll talk about my lessons, my school, and my students. 
4. my every-day life.  I’ll probably use this as a catch-all category for anything that does not fall in the ones mentioned above.

I haven’t nailed down a posting schedule yet, so please bear with me.  I may also decide to create a couple special feature entries for those certain things I feel would not be done justice in the “every-day life” category.  I already have 1 special feature in the works that will appear from time to time, mainly for the sakes of sister no. 1 and sister no. 2.  As of now, there is no set premiere date for “Kats of Korea”.  Stay tuned!


4 comments:

  1. Love your first blog report! I'm looking forward to following you in your great adventure!
    Love,
    Aunt Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a good idea!! When do you even leave for the promised land? will you post videos that you, yourself recorded?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @maddy: my projected departure is around mid May..ish. also, yes, as I have recently discovered an interest in home video editing, i plan on posting some videos of my own, so look forward to them:)

    ReplyDelete