Sunday, June 12, 2011

The System

On Saturday night, I was riding the train back from Seoul.  It usually takes about an hour and a half to get from central Seoul back to my station, Woninjae, back in Incheon.  I was sitting between a business man on my left and a young woman watching TV on her smartphone on my right.  The rhythmic clacking of the rails and the smooth movement started to become quite pleasant and, as anyone would do after walking all over the city, I began to nod off.  I had spent the day with a co-worker, TV, and I could see her shoes across the aisle from me.  I still had several stops before I reached the transfer station.
******************************
"What kind of vegetables do you like to eat?"  I prompted my elementary-aged class.  "Ohhh, teacha,"  one of the said, "I only like potatoes and broccoli." 
"Me, too."  another chimed in.
"You kids need more variety," I quipped.  Another student raised their hand.
"Yes?  What vegetables do you like?"
"I like to eat potatoes and cu-...cukoo.."
"Cucmbers?" I suggested
"Yes.  Oh, and kimchi."
"Oh!  I like kimchi too!" many of the students agreed.  
"And me!"
"Ohhh, Teacher likes kimchi, too," I added, "Very good."
"Ehhhhhh?" they looked at me with confused faces.  "But, Teacha from U.S.A."
"So.  That doesn't mean I can't like kimchi."
"Ehhhhhhh...."
**************************************
I have been here for 3 weeks, now. This is where most people would insert "I can't believe it".  The thing is, though, I don't feel shocked or surprised that I've been so comfortable here.  Many people would say, "you're so far from home, isn't hard adjusting?"  "aren't you homesick?"  For me, it doesn't really feel that far away.  I suppose I have modern technology to thank.  With planes flying all over the world as well as the ability to talk to people face-to-face no matter where they are in the world, I really don't feel that far.  The only difference now, is that I can't read the labels on a lot of the items on the shelves at Lotte Mart.  But even that doesn't bother me.  I can usually figure out what it is by looking at it (still working on the brown rice tea, green tea differentiation).  Now, this doesn't mean I have not noticed the staggering difference in culture and daily life here, I have just acknowledged it, made adjustments accordingly, and continued on with my life.  My fridge now contains: 2 packets of kimchi, eggs (some already boiled), orange juice, a bottle of yogurt, some freshly cut pineapple, 2 chicken breasts, milk (Seoul milk-->do not know what that means), sliced ham, mayo, a bag of lettuce and perilla leaves, ketchup, long green onions, tea, a jar of "fruits jam", bottled water (do not drink the tap water), and Chilsung Cider (Korean 7-up).  My pantry is stocked with: 2 bags of rice, cranberry granola, a box of kiwis, a large bottle of soy sauce, cooking oil, olive oil, garlic, spaghetti, curry mix, several packs of spicy ramyeon, half a loaf of bread, instant coffee, tea bags, and small snack packets of crackers.  As I finish the list of these items, my washing machine is singing to me.  That means my clothes are clean.  When I turn my air conditioner on, it also sings to me.
***************
Back on the train, the transfer station jingle is playing.  I see TV's shoes move.  As I stand up, I see her pointing towards the door.  We shuffle through all the people and make our way over to the doors.  The automated system announces the next station on 3 languages (Korean, Japanese, and English).  The train slows, the doors open and every files out.  The people waiting to get on patiently stand in two lines on either sides until everyone is off.  Then, they file on.*  We walk down several stairs, through the station, and up several more stairs.  We then get on the next train and ride several stops and get off at Woninjae.  We walk through the local park back to our building.  It is 10:30pm and it is packed with kids.  Many are playing basketball on the courts, there are some riding bikes around, some adults are running or walking on the circular path around the park, and other kids are playing on the playground equipment.  As we cross the street, I think about the chicken cart I see on some weeknights when I am coming back from work.  One of these days I should buy some chickens from him.  Two roasted birds for 10,000.  That's a pretty good deal.


*For those who were in Rome with me: people stand in line at bus stops.  They stand in single file and they will extend the line down the sidewalk.  When the bus or train arrives, everyone waits for people to get off, then they get on one-by-one.  That is the system and everyone follows it, neat and orderly.

No comments:

Post a Comment